Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Simple Luxuries

I remember the first few months of Joey's life. Things were such a whirlwind, and there wasn't time for anything there used to be time for. I distinctly remember how the SIMPLEST luxuries - things I had never before thought of as a luxury - were suddenly so important.

Sleep, for one, was something I had always taken for granted before he came along.

A shower. And not just any shower. A shower without a baby in the room with you. A shower that lasted more than 2 minutes. A shower that you took when you woke up in the morning, not when the baby was finally asleep in the swing. A shower that happened on a daily basis.

Eating a meal when you were actually hungry rather than when the baby finally stopped crying.

Cooking dinner while listening to George Winston and enjoying a new candle. You know, a way to unwind after a day at work.

And now that Joey is nearing the year and a half mark, these things are still ones that I consider a luxury. But as I get ready for the next baby to arrive, I think there are new luxuries that I will once again be missing:

Taking a shower with JUST Joey, not two kids! :)
Spending my entire day devoting all of my attention to Joey.
The time I have to myself during Joey's nap.

As excited as I am for our family to grow - and to love another child as much as I love Joey; a part of me is a little sad that mine and Joey's relationship is going to change in so many ways. He'll still be my little buddy, my baby boy, my side kick - but now he'll have to share me with his little sister.

So as the time of having just one child winds down - I hope to spend the next 4 months really focusing on and appreciating all the wonderful things that you can only experience with your first child!

1 comment:

  1. I think every mom feels this way before she adds to her family. It was very hard for me after spending almost four years with just Brice. But, the older one learns to love the younger one just as much as you do! And, unfortunately, it does mean less luxuries for you, especially sleep!

    ReplyDelete