Monday, March 1, 2010

Absence makes the Heart grow Fonder!

Vacation was AWESOME! It was so nice to be on our own for an entire week! It's been 14 months since the last time Chris and I went to Florida together, so the break was much needed! The best part about the trip was how excited I was to get home and see Joey. Leaving your child behind makes the end of the vacation a good thing instead of a sad thing!

I don't think I was prepared for Joey's reaction when we got home though! Chris and I figured that he would either run over and give us hugs - or he would say hi and keep going about his business as if we never left.

Well, instead, he spent almost an entire 5 minutes staring at us like he had just seen two ghosts. The look on his face was utter amazement - as if he thought we were never coming back and he just couldn't believe we were standing in the living room! It made me a little sad to think he thought we had left him forever!!

The next morning, he would not go ANYWHERE in the house unless Chris and I were both with him. We were like one little unit moving around our house together! It was cute to know that he had missed us and was glad that we were back!

Now that it has been a few days and he's sure that we are staying - he's right back to his old self.

Today was one of the best days I've had with him in a long time. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Tumbles (his gym class) in the morning, then out for a bagel and coffee with his friend Kyle and Kyle's mom after Tumbles. Then when we got home we played outside with his radio flyer car (Thank God for the 43 degree sunny weather!!). Then we had lunch, read a million stories and now he's napping. All these things are so normal for us, but since I am so rested and missed him so much while we were gone - I am really enjoying and appreciating our daily routines!

As hard as it is to leave your kid(s) behind and go away for a while, I really think it is the best thing you can do as a parent. It gives you a break, and recharges your battery. If I can look forward to a week of play dates and grocery shopping then the saying must really be true - Absence DOES make the heart grow fonder!!

No comments:

Post a Comment