Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tumbles

I wanted to blog about Tumbles (Joey's gym class) because I'm always talking about it and no one really gets to see it!

It's a 1 hour and 15 minute class once a week and Joey LOVES it!! He gets so excited when it's time to go. Usually, he's the star of the show - but occasionally he'll let a few of the other kids shine! :)

The class always starts with a circle time where they do a warm up/stretch routine. Joey can now do most of the stretches by following the teacher, so I don't help him with these anymore. Sometimes, he opts out of the stretching and stands in the middle of the circle dancing instead! Like I said - he likes to be the star!

After warm-up, the go around and say their names. At this point, I still have to prompt Joey to say his name and he always says "Joe" while nodding his head. Then he claps for himself!

The introductions lead into a weekly practice skill which is always different and then they do a song with motions.

After that, they have "adventure time" where they can play on any of the equipment, plus each week a few different things are set up for them to do with the teachers.

When adventure time is over they bring out a bubble machine and swings. The swings are one of Joey's favorite parts. There are 4 regular swings and two red car swings. Joey ALWAYS waits until the "truck" comes out - he won't swing on the regular ones!!

Then, when swings are done they come back to the circle and have some sort of "parent share" which is usually a glitter wand, little footballs, colored mats - anything you can manipulate and talk about. Then they bring out a ball pit and the kids play in that.

To end, they do one more song and then sing a good bye song while using shakers.

Joey has been doing this for so long that he knows when shakers are over the class is over and he runs immediately to the bench to put on his shoes. Then he waits in line for a stamp on his hand - he always gets one on each hand. He talks about the stamp all day long and then for the rest of the week he points to his hand and asks where the stamp is!

I really love this class because Joey has a great time, he's learning to follow instructions from a teacher and separate from me, and I also have met some good friends there. There are two moms in particular that I really like and Joey has play dates with their kids.

Here are some recent photos of him during class!

















1 comment:

  1. I am SOOO glad you posted this! I have wanted to get Whitney into something similar but didnt really know what kinds of things they do. I need to work with Whitney on paying attention to someone other then me (ie, a teacher) and I think she'd love a place like Tumbles. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete