Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ma Ma

The word "mom," "mommy," "ma ma" ~ is often a child's first word. There are wars between parents. Which will s/he say first? Ma Ma or Da Da? And whichever one wins - of course, is the favorite parent!

Well, I am lucky enough to be the favorite for both Joey and Carlee! :)

I still remember the first time Joey said "mama" - although I don't remember how old he was. We were in Target and he was sitting in the cart. He looked right at me and uttered the softest little "ma ma" you've ever heard. My reaction was as follows:

Immediate tears in my eyes and the highest pitched squeek you can imagine. Followed by "Yes, Mama!! You said mama!!" Then I realized I was in Target and quickly began to push my cart and pretend like nothing had happened as I ignored the weird stares I was getting!

As Joey's language progressed, "mama" turned into "mom." Then after time he moved from "da da," to "dad," to "daddy." It always bothered me just a little that Joey called Chris "daddy," and me "mom." I wanted momMY so badly because it was just way cuter than the old "mom."

And then finally one day it happened. I became "Mommy," and I was thrilled.

Now, Joey says "Mommy" so many times in one day that sometimes I think I would like to un-invent the word! I couldn't imagine getting excited when the next little one began to say my name as well! BUT - when Carlee said it I was JUST as excited as when Joey first said it.

Thankfully, Carlee's story is a little less dramatic. We were just at home, and she didn't exactly look at me when she said it. But don't worry - I still got the tears, and the loud squeek, and the "Yes, mama!!" I just wasn't in public so I didn't get any weird stares. Instead, I got Joey saying "ma ma" just like Carlee did to see if I would get excited for him too!



No comments:

Post a Comment